Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Olfactory Republic of Turkey

Though I've never had a particularly strong sense of smell, I always remember times of my life and places I've been through scents more than anything else. If I catch a whiff of a particular scent, I am whipped back through time and space to an experience that I associate with a particular smell. When I went to Central-Eastern Europe, it was the sweetly pungent smell of a freshly lit cigarette in the cold winter air, and the overwhelmingly flowery aroma of the womens' cheap purfume.
Probably a redhead

Turkey is very much a country of scents. The smells which I associate with my new home are aromas of the smoky variety: the smell of mixed burning wood and coal that the families of Cankurtaran use to heat their homes and teapots; the searing aroma of street vendors roasting chestnuts, or, kestane, as they are called here; and, of course, the sweet smell of meat rosting on a vertical spit for döner kebaps. The people, unlike those in Eastern Europe, smell clean and fresh, and acually have good taste in purfumes and colognes. And, of course, the smell I could never live without is always in the air - that of salt water, the sea, because where I live is a stone's throw from the water.



An quick (but expensive) snack


Naturally, as well, the delicious scents of food are always permeating the air. Since I budget myself, I, with difficulty, resist these temptations, choosing the much cheaper fare of bread, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, fruits, and yoğurt eaten from the comfort of my home's tiny rough-hewn wooden table. I haven't cooked much, because I simply haven't been inspired. Why is this? This would never be the case back home, where ingredients cost twice as much. I thought about this last night as I got home from work and came to a realization: its not that I have a tiny kitchen, but nothing to work with!! Sılverware and plates abound, but there is no cookery or cooking utensils. Alas! I will remedy this once I get paid. But until then, I will have to eat what I've been eating. At least the fresh bread is good. Damn good. And that just might be my favorite scent of all.


I Haven't much to work with....



He lives on....to clean your hair!!

No comments:

Post a Comment